Malahini in Greece and Turkey

Come do a project with me!

07
Jul
2006

One of the Seven Wonders of the World

by jfriesen

Timeline I am including a timeline again because I find myself getting confused about the order that thing happened and then it is hard for me to make sense of anything. I have added Arsinoe and Celsus and also the Artemis Temple. I hope that it is helpful.

Today I visited one of the seven wonders of the ancient world. You can read more about them at Wikipedia The one I visited today was the Artemis temple in Ephesus. Artemis was Greek goddess of the hunt. The Romans had a similar goddess that they called Diana.
Greek Artemis Ephesian Artemis

Look at these two pictures. They are both statues of Artemis. The one on the right is the Ephesian Artemis. People think that maybe the Ephesians combined the traits of an earlier local goddess to Artemis to create this different looking goddess. This represenation of Artemis is known as the Ephesian Artemis and was recognized by people all over the ancient world. The one on the left is the way that the Greek Artemis was shown. It is the more familiar image of Artemis.
Artemis Temple now Artemis Temple model

Here are pictures of the temple. If you come to Ephesus today you will see the temple looking like the picture on your left. The picture on your right is a model of the temple that you can see in the museum. It shows what the temple looked like in the Hellenistic and Roman periods. It stood for several centuries. The temple is built in a place where the water table is low and so now it is like a pond. You can see ducks, storks and a lot of turtles here.

turtles

This is the place where Arsinoe tried to hide, but in the end was killed. Here is a picture of the octagonal tomb they found and a diagram of what they whole thing looked like.

octagon photo octagon drawing

You can also look at another of the seven wonders in my earlier blog. [link to other blog entry] It is a huge statue of Zeus found in Olympia where the Olympic games were first held.

Ephesus House Ephesus terrace courtyard

I haven’t written much about the huge archaeological site here at Ephesus, or about the museum. There is just so much to see it is hard to know where to start. If you do come here it is worth paying extra to see the terrace houses. There is a lot preserved to give you an idea of at least how rich people lived in ancient times. The rest of the site is HUGE also and full of interesting buildings and fountains. There is just SO much to see.

Archaeologists feel the same way. Now they dig very carefully recording and drawing EVERY little thing that they find. However, about a hundred years ago when the field of archaeology was young the archaeologists dug very quickly and were always looking for BIG things like statues that they could take to museums in their own countries. In doing this they destroyed lots of clues that would help us to learn about history. In Ephesus the early archaeologists dug HUGE areas to find whole streets and stadiums, but in doing so they did not record many details that would be helpful to know.

YoyoToday I will end with a few small things. At the Austrian Institute (where the archaeologists eat, work and stay when not out at the excavation) there is the cutest little kitty named Yo Yo. I thought you might like to see her picture.

Also, my mother is always interested in what I am eating, so I thought I should try to explain a bit. Every morning we have breakfast at the hotel as part of staying here. They give us a plate with a piece of cheese, some peeled tomato slices, olives, a slice of orange and then a basket of bread with things to spread on it like jam, honey, butter and cream cheese. They also server us coffee (in a little pot at the table, similar to what we drink at home) or tea. Austrian Institute Ephesus

For lunch and dinner we have been eating with the Austrians at the Austrian Institute. They always start their meal with a bowl of soup. This is an Austrian custom, not a Turkish one. Then there is usually some kind of rice and a dish with some meat and vegatables that was probably cooked in the oven. The unique things about eating here are that there is always a thin yogurt drink at the table that looks like thick milk. This is Turkish. Austrian Institute insideAt the table besides salt and pepper there is always a glass of lemon juice that you can add to your soup, or the water you are drinking or anywhere else you want more flavor. There is also a bowl on the table with red pepper flakes for the same reason. They are not too hot. After lunch they serve some fruit (we have had watermelon and cherries) and then we retire to the outer courtyard and we are brought esspresso.

It seems like dinner is about the same. A few times we have eaten at restaurants and the main foods are shish kabob (meat grilled on a stick) or stuffed peppers and tomatos. They have stuffed grape leaves as an appetizer along with many other things. There are lots of stores that sell Turkish Delight. It is pretty good. They also have lots of places where ice cream cones are sold. The ice cream is a little different, but good. We will probably eat out more this weekend and I will see what I can find out!

3 Responses to “One of the Seven Wonders of the World”

1.   trish Says:

Hi Janice!
    I love the range of your commentary! From goddesses to cats to ice cream. Urban and Leo want to know if you can go swimming where you are (now that they are enjoying the quarry regularly). They also want to know if there are any special legends or archeological treasures about twins! Quetico wants to know why you don’t have any pictures of dogs.
    Trish

2.   Sister Susie Says:

To Quetico: there are a lot of cat pictures now because there were only dog pictures at first on earlier postings from Corinth (see Norma and Melos the dig dogs and other dogs on June 22&29 postings). I asked why there were only dog pictures and did she see any cats!

Unfortunately your pictures in this entry did not turn out to be on the left and right of the text. I sleuthed to figure out that the Ephesian Artemis is the one on the bottom and the Greek one is the one on the top. How did I do this?LLet me know if this is right and I will tell you how I did it.

3.   Sister Susie Says:

My sleuthing solution: I could tell by the second set of pictures that the model is definately the bottom picture. This was labeled in the text as being on the right. So following the same logic, I deduced the bottom picture is the “right’ Ephesian picture and the top is the “left” Greek picture